Saturday, July 4, 2009

WHAT IS SOAP?


Soap is something we use every day, so, naturally, I'm sure it is overlooked and taken for granted, which is what I did before I started making my own.

Very simply, soap is a reaction from the combination of oils or fats, such as animal fat or tallow, with water and an alkaline solution. The alkaline solution, which is popularly known as lye or sodium hydroxide, is very important because that is basically what makes soap...soap!

All soaps have this alkaline solution. And when this reaction of alkaline and oils takes place, a process known as saponification occurs, and voila, you have soap.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

A Few Of My Favorite Items From Etsy

Blog Giveaway

Blog Giveaways

Ceramics & Sculpture Blog

My Not So Hurried Life

Quick Link To Etsy